What is a Notice of Marriage and why do I need it?

A Notice of Marriage is obtained in order to receive a Certificate of No Impediment.

The Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership is a legal statement which you must sign to prove that you and your future spouse are not currently married.

You can obtain this document at your local Register Office but make sure you have lived in the registration district for at least the past 7 days (otherwise you won’t be allowed to issue it at this time). During busy periods there may be a 4-6 week wait to make an appointment so be sure you allow enough time for this.

The document states the names, age, marital status, address, occupation and nationality of the people intending to marry or form a civil partnership. It also states the intended venue for the ceremony. Make sure you know you have all this information before meeting with your register.

What will I need to produce at my meeting?

  • Proof of your Identity/Nationality (Valid Passport, Travel Document or EEA Identity Card)
  • For British Citizens only, a Full Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Your address – Utility Bill (no older than 3 months) or Bank Statement (no older than 1 month) or Driving Licence or latest Council Tax Bill
  • If either of you have been divorced in England or Wales, you will need a court-stamped copy of the Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper). If the divorce took place elsewhere, you will need a certified or sealed document issued by that Country and an English translation if the document is in a foreign language.

If you are a widow or widower, your late spouse’s death certificate will be required and your previous marriage certificate may also be needed in certain circumstances.

What happens next?

Notices are displayed in the public notice book at the Register Office for 28 clear days. After that period, your Certificate of no Impediment will be issued to you.

Remember that it is vital that you are certain of the place in which you plan to be married or form a civil partnership at the time of giving your notice as the document is valid for use in the venue stated. If you need to change the venue after giving your notice you will be required to give fresh notices stating the new venue.

A Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership is valid for 12 months.

If you live abroad, you would obtain the certificate from the nearest British Embassy.


£35.00 (payable to your local Register Office)


Did you like this post?

Subscribe and have our latest venues, wedding advice on getting married in Poland, and other interesting wedding tips emailed to you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *